The most romantic day of the year is almost upon us and even those who scorn the commercialism can still reap the benefits by celebrating this event. Admittedly, every red flower stem is double the price and restaurants are probably already booked up by now. But planning a romantic day or evening doesn’t have to cost a fortune. With imagination, and the right sentiment you can create a splendid evening for your loved one, and keep within your budget.
Here are our top five tips for creating a romantic event for you and that special person in your life:
1. Cook their favourite food – served with a house wine. Most supermarkets have begun to produce their own reasonably priced and palatable table wines.
2. Use the best china, glass and cutlery; decorate the table with candles, bouquet of flowers or a single rose; and cloth or paper napkins to create a restaurant experience.
3. Dress up as if you were going out for a special meal.
4. Play a CD of your shared favourite tunes.
5. Decorate the bedroom with rose petals, light some more candles and enjoy the rest of your romantic evening together.